Friday, January 8, 2010

Extracting Zinc and turn it into powder?

I need zinc powder, unfortunately all I got are pennies, how can I chemically extract the zinc out of the penny and then turn it into powder?





I was thinking along the lines of reacting it with HCl, but then I would end up with ZnCl2, but I don't know of any household method of taking the Zn out of zinc chloride.





Any of you chemical engineers know of any other way?Extracting Zinc and turn it into powder?
This is a waste of perfectly good currency. However, that said, you need to separate the copper from the zinc. You're on the right track with HCl, except that you will want some nitric acid with it to totally dissolve it.


Zinc hydroxide is soluble, but copper hydroxide isn't. So use sodium hydroxide, lye, to neutralize the acid and precipitate the copper. (This is the more valuable part, by the way.) You can then electroplate the zinc as a powdery deposit using stainless steel electrodes.Extracting Zinc and turn it into powder?
nvm, lye = bad idea, turns into zinc hydroxide, must make very basic solution to dissociate zinc hydroxide, not worth it in the long run Report Abuse

However I did have success with electroplating the zinc after ZnCl2, but a lot of Cl2 comes off. Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment