Friday, January 8, 2010

How to get zinc metal (preferably powder) and sodium hydroxide for penny project?

I want to do the experiment where you turn pennies silver, then gold. I know how to do it, but I need about 1-2 grams of zinc powder and sodium hydroxide, and I don't know how to get those. First of all, is sodium hydroxide some common household cleaning product, etc, or does it go back some other common name that would be easy to find? And where could I get zinc powder, just a little bit, not a whole crate of it like science teachers might buy? :-)How to get zinc metal (preferably powder) and sodium hydroxide for penny project?
sodium hydroxide is a common pool chemical. look at a pool store.





zinc is used on boats to prevent corrosion. look at a boating store.





maybe a ';summer fun'; store would have both!

No comments:

Post a Comment